Finding the right words – that’s our promise
Publication is the lifeblood of a professional writer’s career. And using language that will persuade commissioning editors and publishers is a critical part of any writer’s success. Submitting your manuscript for professional editing increases your chances of being published with quality imprints.
“If there is a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, you must be the one to write it.”
— TONI MORRISON
In addition to being trained experts in language editing, our editors have experience in a wide range academic and literary fields, so we can match your manuscript to an editor with experience in your subject area. So whether your writing is in the arts or humanities, natural sciences or social sciences, fiction or poetry, with editing and proofreading from us, you can submit your work with confidence.
There can be several different levels involved in editing a written work: copy editing, stylistic editing, and more in-depth substantive editing, as well as publishing management and book design. Whichever level or levels are required, we guarantee we will work carefully and accurately. Hiring a great editor is the best investment you can make for your publication.
We consider all manuscripts submitted to us for our editorial and design services. We have particular experience and expertise with book manuscripts, research papers, dissertations, reports, conference papers, technical papers and grant applications.
Coordinating and editing a project from proposal or rough manuscript to final manuscript and page proofs, incorporating input from authors, consultants or reviewers. We offer a structured and methodical approach to developing and designing your published documents, from editing and finalising drafts, to page design and layout, to proofreading and sending of files to the printer, to delivery of the final product.
What we do
- Meet with you and your team to discuss publishing plans
- Determine budgets and scheduling for your print-related projects
- Discuss and set realistic publishing goals
- Keep the authors on schedule during the writing process
- Edit drafts and correct revisions
- Edit using predefined styles for usage, punctuation, and so on
- Finalise the written text and prepare it for production
- Design a practical and approachable layout for the publication
- Check quality of illustrations and images being used
- Design cover and secure cover photo/image
- Secure ISBN
- Read and correct final page proofs
- Send files to printer
- Check sample copy for quality assurance
- Ensure delivery of the final product
In substantive editing (also known as developmental editing), we consider a document’s concept and intended use, content, organisation, design and style. The purpose is to make the document functional for its readers, not just to make it correct and consistent.
What we do
- Analysis-based assessment of a manuscript’s overall concept and intended use, content, organisation, design and style
- Reorganising a manuscript for content, structure and flow
- Clarifying your meaning, eliminating jargon, correcting faulty syntax, and giving your writing an overall polish
- Rewriting: creating a new manuscript or parts of a manuscript on the basis of content and research supplied by author
- This is often done in tandem with copy editing
Copy editing is the process of checking for mistakes, inconsistencies and repetition. During this process, your manuscript is polished for publication.
What we do
- Editing for grammar, usage, spelling, punctuation and other elements of style
- Checking for consistency of mechanics and for internal consistency of facts
- Clarifying meaning, eliminating jargon, polishing language and other non-mechanical line-by-line editing
- Inserting head levels and approximate placement of art
- Editing tables, figures and lists
- Notifying designer of any unusual production requirements
Fact checking ensures you do not publish errors, and so look sloppy and lacking authority. It is crucial in referencing research sources, avoiding plagiarism and easing publication – an extra layer of quality control.
What we do
- Checking accuracy of facts and quotes by reference to original sources used by writer or to other reference sources
- Formatting of reference lists and bibliographies
Proofreading is the process of reviewing the final draft of a piece of writing to ensure consistency and accuracy in grammar, spelling, punctuation and formatting.
What we do
- Checking proofs of all materials that are ready for publication
- When we proofread, we catch
- typographical errors
- spelling errors
- misplaced punctuation
- missing text (dropped lines)
- consistency in style and formatting
- heads and sub-heads for consistency in style
- check table of contents and chapter openings
- check running heads and footers
- check pagination
- flag faulty paragraph breaks, widows and orphans
- proof captions and check numbering and consistency in style
- We can proofread against an already-prepared style sheet or, if needed, we can create one for you. A style sheet ensures consistency throughout the document.
A high-quality index is indispensable for any academic work of non-fiction – a compass to guide the reader.
What we do
- Producing a key to the contents of a work, includes reading and analysing the work
- Choosing subjects, concepts and other elements that together form a systematic guide to the information contained in the work
- Arranging these elements into entries consisting of headings and sub-headings and their locators (for example, page numbers)
- Arranging the entries alphabetically or in some other searchable order
Whether you’re a company or an individual author, we can help you create the designs you need to make sure your words stand out. We will work with you to ensure the cover design, layout of interior pages and customised illustrations all meet your needs, integrating both design and a practical, approachable feel – with an editor’s eye.
As editors and designers, we see how the text looks on the page and how it reads in print. We look at how the language and the graphic elements function together. This is our unique approach. We increase the power of your text by ensuring it reads as well as it looks.
- Cover-to-cover creativity
- Custom typesetting and interior page layout
- Book illustrations
- Quality colour reproduction
- Stock images
- Print-ready files
We provide intelligent, sensitive and accurate translations for all types of texts. Our translators have extensive knowledge of the work’s culture and language or origin, as well as the culture and language of the target audience.
- Push past those barriers of language with our translation services
- Translations done by a bilingual subject matter expert
- A comprehensive translation and review process to deliver perfection
- Working in English, Malay, Mandarin and French